New Delhi, Nov, 16: The Aadhaar Scheme was launched in India on September 29, 2010, which means that people have been using Aadhaar as their identity proof for over 13 years now. The Aadhaar card holds details such as biometric information, photographs, address, email id, phone number, and more, which allows UIDAI to maintain information through which an individual can be identified. These details can be used to access various services, including registration for government schemes or college applications.
However, to ensure the accuracy of the data, it is important and encouraged to update Aadhaar details annually. Specifically, if you haven’t changed your Aadhaar photo for years, perhaps not even once since applying for it, now might be a good time to consider updating it. According to UIDAI, it is mandatory for individuals crossing the age of 15 to update their Aadhaar details, including their photo. So, if you are one of those individuals seeking to update your Aadhaar card photo, here is a step-by-step guide to help you in this process.
Before applying for a change in Aadhaar photo, note that UIDAI allows Aadhaar holders to update their demographic details online, such as name, address, date of birth, gender, mobile number, and email. However, to update biometric details online, such as fingerprints, iris, and photograph, one must visit the nearest Aadhaar enrollment center for biometric verification and pay a minimal service charge.
– Step 1: Visit the official UIDAI website – uidai.gov.in.
– Step 2: Download the aadhar enrollment form from the website ( It can also be collected from the nearest Aadhar Sewa Kendra or Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
– Step 3: Fill in the required details in the enrollment form.
– Step 4: Submit it to the nearest Aadhar Sewa Kendra or Aadhar Enrollment Center. Visit this link – appointments.uidai.gov.in/ to locate the nearest centre.
– Step 5: The Aadhar executive present at the centre will confirm all the details via biometric verification.
Step 6: The executive will then click the new picture to be updated in the Aadhar card.
– Step 7: A fee of Rs. 100 with GST will be charged for this service.
– Step 8: You will be given an acknowledgment slip along with an Update Request Number (URN) which can be used to track the status of updates on the UIDAI website.
Notably, it may take up to 90 days to update the information on the Aadhaar card. You can use the URN number to check the status of an Aadhaar update online. Once you have updated your Aadhaar card, you can print a copy at your nearest Aadhaar Enrollment Centre or download an e-Aadhaar from UIDAI’s official website.